Cucumber sandwiches are the quintessential tea sandwich. Here’s how we make them at T-Party . . .
1. Start with thinly sliced white bread.
2. Slice an unpeeled European (also called English) cucumber into transparent slices using a mandolin.
3. Lay the cucumber slices on paper towels to drain. If necessary, place cucumber slices between layers of paper towels to remove their excess moisture.
4. Spread two slices of bread with a light coating of softened unsalted butter which will help to stick all of the sandwich contents together.
5. Sprinkle the buttered bread with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
6. On one slice of bread, layer overlapping rows of cucumbers. Cover with the other slice of bread and press together gently with the palm of your hand.
7. Trim the crusts with a sharp knife after assembling the sandwich to create a clean look.
8. Cut the sandwich in half diagonally and then cut in half diagonally again to make 4 triangular sandwiches. Your finished sandwiches should be dainty, two-bite sized.
And there you have it . . . the perfect cucumber tea sandwich!